Thane chemical cluster (Maharashtra)


The Thane chemical cluster houses a number of large-scale and MSME units manufacturing various types of chemical products. Over 80% of the units in the cluster produce bulk drugs; the remaining 20% of the units are engaged in solvent distillation or in manufacture of resins, dyes and pigments, cosmetic chemicals etc. The annual turnover of the cluster is over Rs 1000 crores. The cluster provides employment to about 20,000 people.

Products Manufactured

Bulk drugs, resins, dyes and pigments, cosmetic chemicals, etc.

Main fuels

Electricity, biomass, natural gas (NG), oil (FO/LDO/HSD)

Production & turnover

Rs 1000 crores (10 billion)

Total energy consumption (toe)

36,590 toe (electricity—8375 toe; biomass—12,314 toe; NG—7012 toe; oil—8889 toe)

Leading industry association(s)

Cluster Profile

Click Here

Other resources

Source: Data pertains to 2019–20, collected primarily under the BEE project ‘Energy and Resource Mapping of MSME Clusters’.

Subscribe for SAMEEEKSHA Newsletter

Can't read the image? click here to refresh
Secretary - SAMEEEKSHA, Industrial Energy Efficiency Division,
TERI, Darbari Seth Block, IHC Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi 110 003, India
Tel: +91 11 2468 2100, 2468 2111 | Email: