Rajkot Forging Industries (Gujarat)


The industrial city of Rajkot, located in the state of Gujarat, hosts a prominent cluster of about 140 MSME forging units located in industrial estates around the city. The Rajkot forging units cluster are principally known for their ability to make superior precision components that cater to a range of secondary production industries including automobiles, compressors, earth moving machinery, electrical equipment, light and heavy machine tools, material handling equipment, stationary diesel engines and others. The main clientele are large Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) such as Tata Motors, Mahindra & Mahindra, L&T, Force Motors, Bajaj Auto, General Motors, Godrej and Ashok Leyland. The forging units fall under two broad categories, based on the type of forgings they produce: (1) closed die forgings (90 units), which account for 62% of total production and (2) ring rolling forgings (50 units), which account for the remaining 38%. The unit-level production varies widely, from 300 tonnes to 36,000 tonnes per year. The total annual production of forgings is about 434,200 tonnes. The total turnover is estimated at over 0.4 billion rupees (4000 crores). The cluster provides employment to about 15000 people directly or indirectly.

Products manufactured

Closed die forgings, ring rolling forgings

Number of MSMEs


Energy consumption


Main fuels

Furnace oil (FO); electricity; natural gas (NG); light diesel oil (LDO); briquettes

Production & turnover

Rs 4000 crores (40 billion)

Total energy consumption (toe)


Leading industry association(s)

Cluster profile


Other Resources:

Source: Data pertains to 2015–16, collected primarily under SDC–TERI EESEproject

Subscribe for SAMEEEKSHA Newsletter

Can't read the image? click here to refresh
Secretary - SAMEEEKSHA, Industrial Energy Efficiency Division,
TERI, Darbari Seth Block, IHC Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi 110 003, India
Tel: +91 11 2468 2100, 2468 2111 | Email: sameeeksha@teri.res.in