Balasore Rice Mills (Odisha)
The district of Balasore hosts over 2000 industries in different categories, including 25 rice mills that process paddy into parboiled rice and provide employment to about 1500 people. The important by-products from rice mills include (i) husk (23%), which is used as in-house fuel in boilers to generate steam; and (ii) bran, which is sold for further processing into bran oil. The Balasore rice mills fall under two categories according to paddy processing capacity: (i) 3 tonnes per hour (21 mills) and (ii) 6 tonnes per hour (4 mills). The cluster processes around 0.18 million tonnes of paddy annually.
Parboiled rice; raw rice; bran
Number of MSMEs
Electricity; husk (generated in-house); diesel
Production & turnover
Total energy consumption (toe)
Leading industry association(s)
- Balasore Rice Millers Association » All Odisha Rice Millers Association (AORMA) http://www.aorma.in/
- North Orissa Chamber of Commerce & Industry (NOCCI) http://www.nocci.in/
- Balasore Chamber of Industries & Commerce (BCIC) http://www.bcicbalasore.org/
- Central Rice Research Institute (CRRI), Cuttack https://crri.icar.gov.in/
- Odisha University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT), Bhubaneswar http://www.ouat.nic.in/
- Department of MSMEs, Government of Odisha https://msme.odisha.gov.in/
Source: Data pertains to 2015-16, collected primarily under the TERI-SDC EESE project.