Berhampur Rice Mills (Odisha)


Berhampur, a sub-division of Ganjam district (Odisha) has over 750 industries including 160 rice mills processing paddy into parboiled rice and raw rice. The capacities of the rice mills vary from 1.5 tonnes per day (tpd) to over 6 tpd. The different by-products generated during paddy processing include husk, which is used in-house as boiler fuel to generate steam; and bran, which is sold to bran oil manufacturers for converting to bran oil. About 95% of the processed paddy in Odisha is used for producing parboiled rice; the remaining 5% produce raw rice. The rice mills in Berhampur generally cater to the requirements of the public distribution system (PDS) established by the state government of Odisha.

Products manufactured

Parboiled rice; raw rice; bran

Number of MSMEs


Energy consumption


Main fuels

Electricity; diesel

Production & turnover

31,320 tpa

Total energy consumption (toe)


Leading industry association(s)

Cluster manual

Other resources

Source: Data pertains to 2015-16, collected primarily under the TERI-SDC EESE project


Subscribe for SAMEEEKSHA Newsletter

Can't read the image? click here to refresh
Secretary - SAMEEEKSHA, Industrial Energy Efficiency Division,
TERI, Darbari Seth Block, IHC Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi 110 003, India
Tel: +91 11 2468 2100, 2468 2111 | Email: