Ahmedabad foundry cluster


Ahmedabad-the largest city in Gujarat-hosts an important industrial cluster. There are over 23,000 MSMEs in the cluster, in addition to about 500 medium and large industrial units. The MSMEs include about 600 foundry units of which 450 are operational. About 70% of these foundries (250 units) operate coke-based cupolas, and the remaining 30% (150 units) operate electrical induction furnaces and pit furnaces. Some units use natural gas (NG)-fired furnaces for shell baking and heat treatment. The units are located in areas such as Naroda, Naroda GIDC, Odhav Industrial Estate, Vatva Industrial Estate, Tribhuvan Industrial Estate and Rakhial Industrial Estate. The foundries produce castings for diverse industrial components including textiles machinery (~ 50%), pumps and valves (~ 20%) agricultural machinery (~ 10%) and sanitary equipment (~ 10%). The Ahmedabad foundry cluster produces about 1770 tonnes of castings daily (nearly 6% of India's total castings output) and provide direct employment to around 30,000 people.

Products manufactured

Iron and steel castings; precision castings

Number of MSMEs


Main fuels

Coke; electricity; natural gas (NG)

Production & turnover

0.53 million tpa; Rs 2600 crores (26 billion)

Energy consumption


Total energy consumption (toe)


Leading industry association(s)

Cluster profile


Other resources

Source: Data pertains to 2015–16, collected primarily under the BEE-SME program

Subscribe for SAMEEEKSHA Newsletter

Can't read the image? click here to refresh
Secretary - SAMEEEKSHA, Industrial Energy Efficiency Division,
TERI, Darbari Seth Block, IHC Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi 110 003, India
Tel: +91 11 2468 2100, 2468 2111 | Email: sameeeksha@teri.res.in