Bargarh rice mills cluster (Odisha)


Bargarh district, in Odisha, accounts for about 30% of total rice production in the state. Bargarh has a cluster of 95 rice mills, of which most are MSMEs. Overall, the Bargarh cluster processes about 1.2 million tonnes of paddy each year. About 95% of the paddy is processed into parboiled rice; the remaining 5% into raw rice. Important by-products include husk, which is used in-house as fuel for boilers, and bran, which is used by bran oil manufacturers.

Products manufactured

Parboiled rice, raw rice

Number of MSMEs


Energy consumption


Main fuels

Biomass (rice husk); electricity

Production & turnover

769,824 tonnes per annum

Total energy consumption (toe)


Leading industry association(s)

Cluster Profile

Other Resources

Source: Data pertains to 2015-16, collected primarily under the TERI-SDC EESE project

Subscribe for SAMEEEKSHA Newsletter

Can't read the image? click here to refresh
Secretary - SAMEEEKSHA, Industrial Energy Efficiency Division,
TERI, Darbari Seth Block, IHC Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi 110 003, India
Tel: +91 11 2468 2100, 2468 2111 | Email: