Saharanpur foundry cluster (Uttar Pradesh)
Saharanpur is an important industrial cluster in India. The region is very poor in mineral resources, and has hence seen the development of agro-based industries like paper, tobacco and woodwork. There are two large-scale industry units located in Saharanpur, the Indian Tobacco Company (ITC Limited) and Star Paper Mills Ltd. Saharanpur also has an MSME cluster comprising about 50 operating foundries as well as wood carving units, hosiery units, rubber units, and straw and paper mill units. The foundries produce castings primarily for hand-pumps (60%), sewing machines (25%), and paper mill machinery (10%). They provide direct employment to about 1000 people.
Castings for hand-pumps, sewing machines and paper mill machinery
Number of MSMEs
Production & turnover
21,000 tonnes per annum; Rs 40 crores (0.4 billion rupees)
Total energy consumption (toe)
Leading industry association(s)
- Indian Industry Association (IIA), Saharanpur Chapter http://www.iiaonline.in/chapter/chaptersite.php?page=1
- Saharanpur Industries Association (SIA) http://saharanpurindustriesassociation.weebly.com/about-sia.html
Energy efficiency initiatives
- TERI-SDC Partnership: Scaling up Energy Efficient Technologies in Small Enterprises (EESE) http://www.sameeeksha.org/index.php?option=com_projects&task=level&title=EESE&id=41
IIA, Saharanpur Chapter, in association with the MSME Development Institute, Agra, organizes vendor development programs (VDPs) at state and national levels.
- District Industries Centre, Saharanpur http://saharanpur.nic.in/dic/dic.htm
- MSME Development Institute, Agra http://msmediagra.gov.in/
Data pertains to 2015-16, collected primarily under the TERI-SDC EESE project